The people of Sanuki have learned the study of ancient Japanese thought
and culture since the times of Kukai, and private elementary schools and
lecture halls spread out in the Edo era.
Ryuzan Kiuchi gave lessons to 40-50 children in his mansion as a predecessor of Furutakamatsu Elementary School in the late Edo period. A monument of Mr. Kiuchi was built in 1933 and still stays.
As a result of the Meiji Restoration, government promulgated a study system and elementary schools
and junior high schools were established. Public education to children
of Yashima, Aji, and Shinden as well as Furutakamatsu in Furutakamatsu was started as a temporary school building in Myokaku Temple of Tsunomura.
The system is replaced with the times, in 1910 there was a system which
one village had one school, and Furutakamatsu senior elementary school
was built in the present site. They had to pay 50 sen(©Old Japanese unit like "yen," and hundredth of a "yen".) as the tuition for one year in those days, and each person prepared
for stationery and a desk, textbooks. There were 10-13 subjects, and there
were a lot of subjects that were not now included such as Syushin (©It's like moral education. It was stopped teaching in 1945, when the WW
The school attendance percentage of the girl was a quarter of the boy at
first, but boys and girls reached approximately 100% together at the end
of the Meiji era. In those days at the time of excursion, everybody ate
lunch in the wicker trunk in the Shinkawa River cliff with a kimono and sandals (straw sandal) in spring.
A portrait of Emperor Showa and Empress Kojun was granted to Furutakamatsu Elementary Schoolin in October, 1928. It
was enshrined at the Shrine near the main entrance, and they had to make
a deep bow when they go in front of it. The portrait was returned to Kagawa
prefectural government office after the war, and the Shrine was removed,
In wartime, elementary schoolchildren of Minato-ku in Osaka did evacuation to Furutakamatsu and went to school from Kioka temple. One corps in the army was stationed, and the school ground became
the sweet potato field. In addition, it became the place of refuge at the
time of Takamatsu blitzkrieg.
After the war Furutakamatsu South Elementary School was established in
1980 because population increased. And the reconstruction of all school
buildings is over in 1979. In 2007, Furutakamatsu Elementary School reached
the 100th anniversary.